Sunday, March 2, 2008

How many hours do you require for service hours? Do you have a daily ASB class?

I require 20 service hours per quarter, so 80 over the course of the whole year. I tinkered with that number before settling on 20. Some kids get WAY over 20, and some struggle just to squeak in at 14 or 15. If a quarter is 8 weeks long instead of ten, I might drop the requirement down to 18 hours just for that quarter. Of course, based on your situation, you can decide up or down what's reasonable for your students.

As far as an ASB class, YES, I have been extremely fortunate to have an ASB class both as a high school and middle school adviser. Additionally at the middle school, I had my ASB students as my homeroom as well, which was another 22 minutes each day. There's so much more you can get done, both in leadership curriculum and in planning activities, when you can all sit down together as a class.

If your district (or school) doesn't give you an actual class for ASB, bring an administrator to the CADA Convention or to one of the CADA Leadership Camps sometime. You could start with simply showing them our CADA Standards Manual. We are in a constant struggle for defending our academic legitimacy. Some administrators get it, and some don't. In tough financial times like these, we have to fight even harder.

RVI

No comments: